2008 has seen a slew of releases, most of which have completely passed me by. Here are the songs that have managed to stick with me throughout the year*. We’ll count backwards from 50 over the next few weeks until we reach my favourite song of 2008. Enjoy.
50. Rock & Roll – Eric Hutchinson Highly addictive pop straight outta New York.
Cause you’re so beautiful
Like a, tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You’re so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you’d probably still have to keep your normal job
48. First Taste Of Trouble – The Sweet Serenades This track explodes out of the speakers with an arresting vocal and catchy beat before the “oooh oooh ooohs” kick in. You can’t help but bop along to this one.
47. The Elephant Fell To Earth – Second Dan Great keys, infectious riffs and a change of tempo right toward the end, with a few shoo-do-dos thrown in for good measure.
46. The Legend Of The Last Of The Outlaw Truckers AKA The Ballad Of Sheriff Shorty – The Dandy Warhols Suggestive bass line, playful yet slightly menacing vocals, a rollicking beat and potentially the longest track title ever. It’s good stuff.
45. Happy As Can Be – Cut Off Your Hands I’ve written about this one pretty recently. Very catchy.
44. Orange Blossoms – JJ Grey & Mofro These guys are all about soul, funk and blues – guitar riffs, fab vocals and an electric piano solo. All good.
43. How To Embrace A Swamp Creature – The Mountain Goats John D produces yet another lyrical masterpiece. Stark lines like I’m out of my element, I can’t breathe speak volumes. The piano melody is lovely too.
42. Lubbock Love Song – Sleepy Horses If I was a city called Lubbock I’d be very happy that someone had written a song about me, particularly this one, because it’s lovely. A slow burner, the handclaps and backup vocals kick it up a gear and allow it to build into a right little toe tapper.
41. Clouds – The Rumble Strips Upbeat ode to whiling away a lazy afternoon with a spot of cloud gazing. Tinkling keys, saxophone and a smooth tempo change half way through. Very nice.
*Some are the original savefile links and some are fileden.